In addition to attracting new people into the sector, the South Australian Government and industry are working together to retain and upskill existing workers and attract and re-skill workers transitioning from other sectors.
This commitment is underpinned by a range of policies and programs:
- the industry-led Defence Industry South Australia Workforce Strategy 2014–2020 – South Australia’s defence skills roadmap
- A Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Skills Strategy for South Australia – aims to lift the number and qualifications of people with skills in these areas
- WorkReady – People, Industry, Jobs – designed to build a skilled, capable and ready workforce able to fill current and emerging job opportunities
- innovative defence career pathways programs, such as the Advanced Technology Industry School Pathways Program, which is funded by the Department of Defence’s Capability Acquisition and Sustainment Group
- a range of undergraduate and postgraduate defence-specific courses at South Australian universities
- establishment of international satellites for the Carnegie Mellon University, Royal Institution and University College London
- establishment of a dedicated Maritime High School and The Heights School as a defence high school with defence scholarship and internship programs
- dedicated defence honours scholarship and defence industry internship programs
- the South Australian Defence Industry Leadership Program aims to develop emerging defence industry leaders.
Enquiries, please contact Julie La Rosa, Executive Director, Strategy Skills and Government Relations, Defence SA, tel: +61 8 8463 7140 or Julie.LaRosa@defencesa.com.