The Osborne Naval Shipyard is the nation’s premier naval industry hub and arguably the most technologically advanced naval shipyard in the world. It is the prime location for any company pursuing opportunities in defence or commercial shipbuilding and ship sustainment projects.
The world class precinct recently underwent a major $500 million expansion as part of Australian Naval Infrastructure’s expansion and modernisation program. Australian Naval Infrastructure is the owner, developer and manager of the precinct.
The expansion supports ongoing large scale shipbuilding projects, including the Hunter class frigates, Arafura class offshore patrol vessels, the future build of submarines for the AUKUS Nuclear-powered Submarine Program, and the life of type extension and sustainment of the Collins class submarines.
The Osborne Naval Shipyard currently consists of:
- Osborne North: high-tech submarine construction and maintenance facilities which currently supports sustainment of the Collins class submarines.
- Osborne South: Australia’s largest naval shipbuilding hub incorporating a critical mass of world class warship design and construction skills. It is the most advanced and modern shipbuilding facility in Australia and potentially the world once upgrades are completed to accommodate the Hunter class frigate program. It is the current site for the Offshore Patrol Vessel program and location for the now completed Air Warfare Destroyer program.
- Common user shipbuilding facilities: including a 213-metre wharf, runway, dry berth, transfer system and the largest shiplift in the southern hemisphere.
- A commercial and education precinct, including the Naval Shipbuilding College.
- Navy Headquarters South Australia, Ship Build Program Office and technical laboratories.
- Easy access to the national transport network, including road, rail and deep-sea port.
The precinct is located at Osborne, 25 kilometres north-west of Adelaide’s CBD, and is a 35-minute drive from Adelaide International Airport.
It is also close to major national defence precincts:
- Technology Park Adelaide
- Edinburgh Defence Precinct, home of RAAF Base Edinburgh
- Defence Science and Technology.
For further information visit www.ani.com.au or asc.com.au/facilities/.