Defence SA has a gifts and benefits management policy to ensure our reputation for integrity and professionalism is achieved.
Employees (and their families) may:
- Accept gifts in circumstances where refusal is likely to cause offence;
- Accept gifts from representatives of Governments, either overseas or in Australia; or
- Accept gifts from private organisations if the gift is in the nature of a souvenir, a memento or a symbolic item (such as books, cuff links, brooches, plaques etc).
All gifts received by Defence SA and its staff are included on the Defence SA Gifts and Benefits Register.
With the exception of invitations to events or perishable items, all gifts are retained by Defence SA and raffled off to staff at the end of each year. All proceeds are then donated to a charity of the agency’s choosing.
The following gestures are not required to be registered:
- Gifts returned unused to the donor within 14 days of receipt.
- Informational material used to assist in the performance of official duties, including audio-visual or printed material, or free admission or discounts to informational conferences or seminars.